Length: 2 Days
Instructor / Course Director:
Download Course Agenda (PDF)
Contact Hours:Course Times:
California Board of Registered Nursing Provider Number CEP16357 has awarded this course 18.6 CEC’s. AAHP has awarded this course 16 CE Credits (2016-00-048). ABIH has previously awarded CM credit for this event. The current event contains 15.5 hours which can be claimed for 2.505 CM Credit. This course is eligible for 1.55 Recertification points BCSP Category 7. The BLS has awarded this course 2CM points (106-3683).
Registration is at 7:30am on the first day and class begins each day at 8:00am for regional course. For virtual courses, class starts at 10am to accommodate all North American time zones.Students Receive:
- Course Notebook
- ANSI Z136.3-2018 "Safe Use of Lasers in Health Care"
- RLI Medical User's Guide For Laser Safety (Electronic Copy)
- LAZAN™ Quick Calc Hazard Analysis Software
The ANSI standards require the MLSO to have knowledge of laser systems, nominal hazard zones (NHZ), maximum per exposure limits (MPE), and the optical density (OD) of protective eyewear.
This two day course is designed for either the beginner or the intermediate student. Emphasis is on the development of a comprehensive laser safety program within a variety of differing health care facilities, and will assist participants in implementing the duties of the Medical Laser Safety Officer (MLSO).
The curriculum is based on ANSI Z136.3, OSHA, TJC and state standards.
- Basic laser operation and beam characteristics
- Review of a variety of medical laser systems
- Role of Medical Laser Safety Officer
- Basic bio-effects of different wavelengths, and medical/surgical applications
- Hazard analysis: MPE, NHZ, OD