This is a combination package that includes both the L-113 Principles of Lasers course and the L-222 Laser Safety Officer course.
Length: 5 Days
List of Potential Instructors:
- Ben Edwards, MS, CHP, CLSO
- William J. Ertle, CLSO, CMLSO
- Joseph M. Greco, CLSO, CHP
- David Havrilla
- Jamie J. King, CLSO
- Barbara V. O’Kane, CIH, CSP, CLSO
- Tony Zmorenski, ASP, CSP
Download Course Agenda (PDF)
L-113:AAHP has awarded this course 12 CE Credits (2016-00-047). ABIH has previously awarded CM credit for this event. The current event contains 7 hours which can be claimed for 1.169 CM Credit. This course is eligible for .7 Recertification points BCSP Category 7. The BLS has awarded this course 1CM point (106-3670).
L-222:AAHP has awarded this course 32 CE Credits (2016-00-049). ABIH has previously awarded CM credit for this event. The current event contains 27 hours which can be claimed for 4.509 CM Credit. This course is eligible for 2.7 Recertification points BCSP Category 7. The BLS has awarded this course 4CM points (106-3696).Course Times:
Registration is at 8:00am and class begins at 8:30am for the L-113 Principles of Lasers course.
Registration is at 7:30am on the first day and class begins each day at 8:00am for the L-222 Laser Safety Officer course.
For virtual courses, classes start at 10am EST to accommodate all North American time zones.Students Receive:
- Course Notebook
- Z136.1-2022 ANSI Standard "For the Safe Use of Lasers"
- RLI User's Guide For Laser Safety
- LAZAN™ Quick Calc Hazard Analysis Software
This five-day course is designed for those persons designated as the Laser Safety Officer (LSO) for their facility who also need a solid introduction to lasers.
The first day of the course provides a general overview of types of lasers and how laser light differs from that produced by the sun and other "ordinary" light sources. The participant also learns about laser operation, terminology and beam properties. Common types of lasers including specific gas, solid-state, and diode lasers are discussed and an overview of laser optics and beam delivery systems is included. The discussion of basic laser operation emphasizes those laser characteristics that are important for the LSO to understand in order to perform the laser hazard evaluation.
The next four days of the course consist of an in-depth, analytical presentation of the LSO’s duties and requirements according to ANSI Z136.1, OSHA, FDA-CDRH and state laser standards. After a review of the biological basis, the student will complete an in-depth computational workshop that covers MPEs, AELs, NHZs and ODs. An in-depth discussion of the control of laser hazards is provided.
Options for on-site training programs are presented including video examples and interactive video/computer programming. The course concludes with a session on non-beam hazards associated with laser use (e.g., fumes, shock, and plume) with emphasis on industrial hygiene-based solutions.Course Topics
- Basic laser concepts
- Differences between laser light and ordinary light
- Types of electromagnetic radiation
- Spontaneous and stimulated emission of radiation
- Types of lasers
- Components common to all laser types
- Discussion of gas, solid state, diode and liquid dye lasers
- Laser output characteristics
- Radiometric terms and units for lasers
- Continuous wave, single and repetitively pulsed outputs
- Laser optics, components, and beam delivery systems
- LSO’s duties and responsibilities according to the ANSI Z136 standard
- Biological effects of laser radiation on the eye and skin
- Determination of MPEs, with computational examples
- Calculation of Nominal Hazard Zones (NHZs)
- Wavelength and time correction factors
- Details of the laser hazard classes
- Accessible Emission Limits (AELs)
- Laser accident review and case studies
- Laser safety control measures
- Safety requirements within the laser controlled area (LCA)
- Training requirements for laser operators
- Laser eyewear selection
- Laser safety program management in industry, research, and education
- Non-beam hazards and their controls