"The LSO shall periodically audit or survey by inspection for the presence
and functionality of the laser safety features and control measures required
for each Class 3B and Class 4 laser or laser system in the laser facilities."
ANSI Z136.1-2022, A1.2 LSO Specific Duties and Responsibilities.
Laser Safety Audits
RLI has extensive experience and capability in the auditing of laser products and facilities for compliance with applicable laser safety standards. We routinely audits laser facilities and laser equipment used in facilities for compliance with the requirements of:
- ANSI Z136.1 Standard for the Safe Use of Lasers
- U.S. Federal Laser Product Performance Standard (Medical facilities)
- IEC 60825-1
Major Audit Features
In a typical laser safety audit, RLI representatives examine each laser system and each dedicated laser facility according to the following criteria:
- Laser equipment safety features: protective housing interlocks, enclosures...etc.
- Personnel safety requirements: eyewear, clothing, gloves, ...etc.
- Beam delivery safety features
- Warning labels and other CDRH performance features
- Service and/or repair safety
- Review of laser area controls: including signs and other entryway controls
- Nominal hazard zone and eyewear optical density computations
- Laser generated fume, fire and explosion hazards
- Training requirements
- Confirmation of laser output measurements
- Special requirements in research and medical facilities
- Review of SOP's and laser usage requirements
A comprehensive summary of the audit's findings is reviewed by the RLI staff following the on-site audit. Then a comprehensive audit summary report is provided to the client which includes specific recommendations.
For more information regarding laser safety audits, please contact us via email or call a consulting representative at (800) 94-LASER.